Friday, November 24, 2006

So I heard on the news this morning

that BC leads the country in child poverty (I think they said for the 6th year running, but I could be mistaken).

They translated that to 23% of children living below the poverty line - a line that is so ridiculously low, that the real percentage is likely more like 50%. So somewhere between 1 in 4 and 2 in 4 children do not have enough to eat, safe and comfortable housing, warm enough clothing, and sufficient health care. Combine that with the reality that most of the parents of said children are 'the working poor' - working long hours for little money, depleted of time and energy and therefore less available to those children for true parenting - and we find ourselves growing a nation of lost souls. I do not know the numbers for other provinces, but I'm sure it isn't pretty.

But... come on Canada, we all know it is MUCH more important that we spend our tax dollars on securing a TITLE for Quebec, than solving the profound and basic human dignity issues facing our children - the future leaders of this nation of ours.

************************************************************************************************

note:

I have nothing against the people of Quebec. My family originates from Quebec, and many of my relatives still live there. These proud people have voted - more than once - to stay in Canada, to keep Canada united coast to coast. They have spoken - it's just the political arena isn't listening. I do not believe it is the Quebec people as a whole keeping this wound open, but rather the politicians.

Just sayin'



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frenchie and I can't even discuss Quebec without getting into a fight. I know where you're coming from.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home