Thursday, July 28, 2005

Missin' My Papa

I'm a nurturer. I'm the strong one. I'm the one taking care of others - without them having to ask, I'm just... there. I just... know things. I'm good at it. Ya know how people withdraw when they're hurting... how alone we can feel.... scared and confused and lost. I do the support a person in that place so they know they aren't alone thing. Even if I can't actually help the issue at hand, that knowing someone cares and you're not alone, that's a big thing. I like being able provide that. It's that "sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it" thing.

My Dad was the same. I get it from him. I got it from him, he gave it to me. I mean both that I attribute my being this way to him, and that he provided me with that same support. He was always there. He always knew. And he always believed in me, period, even when I wasn't sure I believed in myself. You came away from a conversation with him just... feeling better... not feeling alone anymore.... feeling hopeful and loved. God I miss ya Papa.

Was just thinking about Dad today... just missin' him is all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Politically Homeless said...

*HUGS*

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I miss him too.

10:11 PM  
Blogger James Behrens, OCSO said...

What a blessing he was and is in your life - one that you seem to pass on to others, too. That is beautiful.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home