Thursday, October 13, 2005

Choking on Religion

It's been an exercise in self restraint not spouting off bout the bullshit this last week was, but I don't have to censor here - so you Catholics might want to skip this post, cuz I'm pissed.

This ain't gonna be thought through, and I'm not gonna edit - I'm just gonna spew, babble incoherent or incomplete thoughts - so consider yourselves warned, continue with caution. I'm a blasphemer and a sinner. I drink, smoke a joint here and there, swear like a trucker, fuck and suck like a whore. Bless me Father for I have sinned ... yup, and I will some more.

Ya know... I just wanna shove something up the proverbial ass of Catholicism. Hard, without lube - a grudge fuck... maybe blow a big sticky wad all over the pew, wipe your dick on the priest's robe when you're done , snack on a couple of communion hosts and swig some holy wine on the way out. Yup. I've said enough Hail Marys, amens, and Thanks be to God's for all of us this last week - I'm positively HOLY!!! Fuck... I think I'm a virgin again! (it's ok, it won't last! *laughing*)

For those of you non-Catholic folk, death generally generates two (at least) ceremonies in the church - The Prayers the evening before where you pray for the salvation of the deceased, for God to have mercy and grant her entry to heaven... and the funeral service itself where, in summary, she is committed to God. So I'm wondering... if more people pray for you at the Prayers, are you more likely to get in, or get a better seat, ride first class?

There was so SO little of MOM in the ceremonies, it sickened me. It was the Catholic church puking on me, it was a marketing event - recruitment, it was formal and artificial. What with all the avoiding temptation, giving your life to the service of Jesus, flesh eating and blood drinking.... I felt more like I was in a sci-fi movie than a funeral to say farewell to Mom.

Where was the celebration of how she touched the world around her, of the mark she left on each of us, of how she loved? Where was the laughter remembering how she showed us how to court joy and be silly, to dance and sing and giggle uncontrollably? Where were the touching stories of how she gave of herself, how our lives were more - better - fuller - safer because she loved us?

Organized religion in general and the Catholic church in particular focus on the hell-fire-damnation-fear inflicting-guilt-shame-shoulds.... it drives me NUTS! I found myself sitting there understanding fully the analogy of sheep - don't think for yourself just do what we tell you...follow blindly, don't question, give us your money, vote how we say, perpetuate the same upon your children so our big corporate church will be sustained. Big business this religion thing.

Clearly I just don't get it huh?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you get it just fine
see it quite clearly

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a tendency on the part of most RCs to take themselves far too seriously. But I suppose there was some purpose for the RCs at one point in our human development. The thing that should give you some succour is the fact that the truth is not obscured by their belief system. And they can't disturb the fact that your Mother-in-law is beyond their grasp, out of pain and, I trust, at peace.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

I'm sorry


I too agree that you should honor her memory in some way that feels more right to you - like making a scrapbook to preserve pictures of her for the family, or a beautiful memorial garden, or some charity fundraising type thing in her honor for a cause she would like

take care

PS: can't remember how I found your blog but I think it was from flash fiction fridays

9:40 AM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Seems you get it just fine.

(Oh no! Your updates aren't showing up in my feeds!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you don't get it. I don't get it either and am damn proud not to.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Muse said...

I think you got it perfectly.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say funerals are for those left behind, not the deceased.

Clearly, it wasn't for you.
Who was it for? Who needed the Catholic mass? Did your mother want it?

You should celebrate her memory in the way you see fit, in the way you want to honor her and remember her.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Shinta said...

I'm sorry for your loss. This post reminds me of my father's funeral, except the Church was Seventh-Day Adventist. I was so angry at everybody for not caring about how my father didn't want to be a part of that religion anymore, and how I never accepted their beliefs.

Thank you for writing this post. Perhaps funerals are for more for strangers; we have better ways to celebrate someone's life.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As i sit here.... at my desk in the catholic non-profit agency I work for.... I had to laugh. Not at your outrage. You have reflected some of my very thoughts.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Toxic Angel said...

When my father passed away and I had to go to his funeral, which was organized by the crazy catholics of that family - I felt the way you do. It was a mass marketing campaign, everything had to be done just right or the big CEO was going to come crashing through the fucking ceiling. And everyone was working on a "brownie points" system trying to get the best seat for when their turn comes.

You know my opinions on organized religion. Catholic, specifically.

Boo.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, you do get it. And then there was Alice bawling her eyes out.............what the hell was that all about??????

Love ya

Timhoben

6:08 PM  
Blogger samar said...

Sat Sri Akaal!
I truely feel bad for you,also agreeing with you 100%.It was your experience,but your writings choked me right here.

Preaching ruins curiosity'n'rationale,
hypocrite's stale,but not good enough reason to escape
(or complain).

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home