Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy Green Day!

My Irish history is ever present in my life. Irish on one side, French on the other, no wonder I'm such a bitch! *laughing*

A few Irish tidbits...

May you be granted always
A sunbeam to warm you
A moonbeam to charm you
A sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you
Laughter to cheer you
Faithful friends near you
And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you

As you slide down the banisters of life
may the splinters never point the wrong way.


May you never forget what is worth remembering,
Or remember what is best forgotten.


Here's to our wives and girlfriends
May they never meet!


May your troubles be as few and as far apart as my Grandmothers teeth


My nieces are coming to have lunch with me today. We'll hit the pub next door and raise a jar to my Mom and Dad, their Grandparents.

When my Mom passed, we all sang this, at the church, at the hall, and at my house afterward. We handed out the words to everyone so they could sing along... my very Irish Nana, then 90, said 'piss off, I don't need those' - she knew the words. Here's to you Mom & Dad...

The Night Pat Murphy Died (Great Big Sea version)

Oh the night that Paddy Murphy died, is a night I'll never forget
Some of the boys got loaded drunk, and they ain't got sober yet
As long as a bottle was passed around every man was feelin' gay
O'Leary came with the bagpipes, some music for to play

That's how they showed their respect for Paddy Murphy
[Chorus] That's how they showed their honour and their pride
They said it was a sin and shame and they winked at one another
And every drink in the place was full the night Pat Murphy died

As Mrs. Murphy sat in the corner pouring out her grief
Kelly and his gang came tearing down the street
They went into an empty room and a bottle of whiskey stole
They put the bottle with the corpse to keep that whiskey cold

[Chorus]

About two o'clock in the morning after empty'ing the jug
Doyle rolls up the ice box lid to see poor Paddy's mug
We stopped the clock so Mrs. Murphy couldn't tell the time
And at a quarter after two we argued it was nine

[Chorus]

They stopped the hearse on George Street outside Sundance Saloon
They all went in at half past eight and staggered out at noon
They went up to the graveyard, so holy and sublime
Found out when they got there, they'd left the corpse behind!

[Chorus]

Oh the night that Paddy Murphy died, is a night I'll never forget
Some of the boys got loaded drunk and they ain't been sober yet
As long as a bottle was passed around every man was feelin' gay
O'Leary came with the bagpipes, some music for to play

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Irish know humor born from hardship. I grew up with those sayings too. That Paddy song is excellent! Thanks for the reminder of my roots.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home